Why is this Product Better than Current Alternatives?
An understanding of competitive products is critical to successful positioning and pricing of a new product/technology. Competitive benchmarking provides an opportunity to identify the distinct advantage a new product has over its competitors. This information will be used to help you understand the relative benefit of your product versus others in the market and to provide a basis for determining your product’s market price.
Competitive Benchmarking Step-by-Step
1) Identify the primary competitive products that provide a similar function as the proposed device/technology.
2) List the primary attributes that differentiate the products identified in Step 1.
3) Rate each product on a scale of 1 to 5 across the attributes identified in Step 2.
4) The total ratings for each device are a measure of each device’s competitive attractiveness.
Example: Competitive Benchmarking of Three Types of Thermometers
The following is an example of competitive benchmarking for three different thermometer technologies. In this example, we use the metaphor of a “horse race” between three competing products. In the race, each type of thermometer competes on a set of key product attributes valued by the customer. Each product attribute is briefly explained, followed by a “horse race” between the products that show each product’s ranking in regards to the specific attribute. The rating scale for each feature ranges from one (the lowest) to five (the highest).
How to Install the Benchmarking Tutorial
1) When you visit the Benchmarking Tutorial for the first time, you will be prompted to download and install the Unity Web-player browser plugin.
The plugin should work with all up-to-date versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera on a desktop or laptop machine. At this time, the Benchmark Tutorial does not work on most mobile devices or tablets, though we are exploring that option for future releases.
If you have difficulties installing the plugin, see the Unity Webplayer Download page for more information.
2) After completing the installation, the tutorial will begin loading. It may take a moment or two for the tutorial to fully load in your browser window.
3) When the tutorial screen appears, click the button to start the simulation.
Audio & Navigation in the Tutorial
Dialogue in the tutorial will be in both audio and text, so you should make sure your speakers or headphones are working before beginning the tutorial.
After you select a horse, you can move your camera by using the arrow keys to change your view.