Student Worker & Co-Op Positions
The UCSIM | Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research offers employment for undergraduate, graduate, and co-op student positions when openings are available.
Join our team creating state-of-the-art virtual learning environments, educational simulations, and serious games! Positions provide flexible scheduling around your class schedule or academic needs, and alternating co-op semesters may be available depending upon your academic program requirements.
STUDENT WORKER – 3D CHARACTER MODELER & ANIMATOR
The UCIT Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research seeks a talented student 3D character modeler and animator with previous game or simulation development experience for exciting student worker position developing virtual learning environments, educational simulations, and serious games. This position offers a wide variety of opportunities to apply your creativity and skills, including designing and developing 3D character models and animation assets for gameplay and simulation systems using the Unity3D game engine; developing low and high poly character models for 3D virtual and augmented reality applications including 2D skin and texture design; rigging and animating models; designing, testing and refining character model and animation elements; performing QA to debug, document, and deliver top quality work; and working with a team of artists and developers to create the best virtual experience possible within time and budget constraints. Preference will be given to applicants in Electronic Media, Game Design, Fine Arts, or related fields of study, or who have previous 3d modeling and animation experience with the Unity3D game engine or similar game engines. The ideal applicant has a great sense of humor and attitude, a strong work ethic, enjoys working independently or in a team environment depending upon the project, and is passionate about developing interfaces for virtual environments and the emerging metaverse. Position provides flexible scheduling around your classes and academic requirements.
- Must be enrolled at least part-time (6 credit hours for undergraduate students and 5 credit hours for graduate students), with the exception of summer term, or will be a registered student during the next academic semester for summer work.
- Must be age 18 or older.
- Must be available to work throughout the summer term.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with modeling low and high poly 3D character models.
- Proficiency with 3DSMax, Maya, or Blender.
- Proficiency in UV map and texture editing software, such as Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Adobe Fireworks, etc.
- Proficiency with rigging and animating human and non-human character models.
- Applicants must have excellent problem solving skills and should be able to coordinate well with other artists on the team.
- Must have a high comfort with using discussion boards, blogs, wikis, Reddit, Twitter, and other social media forums and technologies for self-taught learning and technical support.
- Experience with the Unity3D game engine preferred, other game engine experience or development a plus.
- Experience designing character models and animating characters for Virtual Reality and/or Augmented Reality applications preferred, including development for Google Cardboard, Google Daydream, Samsung GearVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Google Glass, or Microsoft Hololens.
- Knowledge or previous experience with UV/texture mapping workflow between 3D and 2D editing programs, such as Maya/Photoshop.
- Knowledge of various texture maps that are used for materials, such as normal, diffuse, occlusion, etc.
- Experience with motion capture technologies such as MS Kinect, Motion Builder, Mechanim, Cortex, etc.
- Drawing, sculpting, painting, and other traditional fine art skills a plus.
- Knowledgeable in other Adobe programs (Illustrator, Flash, etc).
- Knowledge or previous experience with 3D content pipelines (Maya/Max/Photoshop/Illustrator into game engine) a plus.
- The ideal applicant has a great sense of humor and attitude, a strong work ethic, enjoys working independently or in a team environment depending upon the project, and is passionate about gaming, virtual environments, and the emerging metaverse.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, complete the application below and include a cover letter, resume, and portfolio of previous examples of your work as a link or attachment. Applications that do not include a cover letter, resume, and portfolio will not be considered. Cover letters and resumes should be in Word or PDF format. Portfolios of previous work may include links to websites or portfolio pages, images and screenshots, or documents in Word, PDF, or PPT format. For multiple files, please submit a zip file containing all relevant documents.